I parked at Shaugh Bridge, a place I had visited many times before. I have posted photos of this beauty spot earlier (25.6.17). Today I walked up the River Plym to the base of the Dewerstone. I had never done this before. The climb up from the river was not too bad and it was cool under the trees with the sound of the river running nearby. Unfortunately because the trees were in full leaf you could not see the Dewerstone clearly, but there were glimpses of the rocks towering overhead. On the way home I stopped in Shaugh Prior. I saw a cross just below the Community Centre and I assumed this was the one mentioned in the book. I must read the book more carefully in future! It was only as I was driving away from the village that I noticed the cross at the road junction, but there was nowhere to park to photograph that one. However, because I stopped at the Community Centre I was able to see the far reaching view from this sp...
Reading through "Dartmoor 365" by John Hayward I was surprised there is no entry for square T6. There is certainly plenty to see here. The river Plym flows through this part of Dartmoor. At Cadover Bridge it is wide and shallow making it a popular, safe place for children to play. You can walk along the bank of the river and very quickly it looks all together different. The river runs faster as it tumbles over granite rocks, roaring as it goes.
Being inspired by "Dartmoor 365" by John Hayward that explores every one of the 365 square miles of the Dartmoor National Park I was keen to see if I could do the same. Following the one square mile grid that had been superimposed over the map of Dartmoor I chose to start at grid reference R4, Roborough Down. John Hayward starts by focusing on The Rock. I have frequently driven past the Rock as I have travelled into Dartmoor and as a child played on it, as have my children and grandchildren, but I was surprised that when I wandered around how much of interest I found. Apart from the rock itself there was an old water pump and a memorial to Queen Victoria's 60 years of reign. At the back of this structure there was an inscription celebrating Queen Elizabeth II 60 years, but the final date, 2012, had only been drawn in the stone and not chiselled out. Why was this, I wondered? Information Board about Roborough Down as an ai...
Comments
Post a Comment